In this issue, we return to one of my favorite themes…
Why do I keep doing that? I believe relationships define our lives. There is no more important ingredient in life than joy in relationships.
Here are some ideas for improving this important aspect of your life.
Sean Kernan describes three key ways of improving your relationships.
Lunchtime at the clubhouse in the development where I live affords great people-watching opportunities. A friend and I often have lunch together a few times a week.
One of our regular observations is the rudeness we see at tables of several people. These people apparently choose to be in each other’s company. Yet they spend a majority of their time together paying no attention to each other as they poke away at their electronic devices.
To me, this says, “I’d rather chat with my friend across town than converse with you, sitting next to me.” If that really is your preference, why not depart the group you’re in and go spend the time with the other friend?
Want to improve your relationships? Here’s a fertile opportunity. Turn off the notifications on your phone, put it in your pocket or purse, and pay rapt attention to the people you’re in physical company with. Save the electronic chatting for later.
As Sean points out we send a steady stream of signals to those around us. If we think carefully about the signals we send, and send better ones, the quality of our relationships will improve.
To me, the cell phone offenses I described are the most common and the most blatant indicators of disrespect.
With that said, here are some other ways you can show respect for those around you. These are the ones Sean focuses on; I’ll bet you and I could sit down for 15 minutes and easily add 100/+ items to the list.
- Be present! Stand or sit up straight, look the other person in the eye, and pay attention to what they’re saying. Then respond thoughtfully. This says, “I honor and respect you and your ideas.”
- Put your phone away. I’ve already said more than enough about this.
- Make space in the world for others. Share space! Take turns! Invite others to save time and steps, especially when it’s no inconvenience to you. Have a basketful in a grocery checkout line, and someone comes along behind you with one loaf of bread? Your delay by inviting them to go ahead will be unnoticeable. If they have to wait for you to check out, they’ll be delayed by several minutes or more. And they’ll be at least a little annoyed by your insensitivity.
If you want a pleasanter, more productive life, it goes without saying that you want better relationships. Here are some excellent ways to accomplish that.
Note: Archived issues of The Unity Community are available here. Search that page for keywords representing your particular interest. Most articles offer suggestions for ways of improving business and personal relationships. Keep in mind that business is done by…people. Every business concern is essentially an inter-personal concern.
A “Shot in the Arm” Every Week!
Eric Lofholm is my friend, mentor and sales coach. He hosts a 30-minute motivational call every Thursday (recently changed from daily). The call is at 8:30 AM Pacific time. Register for it here. You’ll find instructions on how to join the call on Facebook, Zoom, by phone, or later in a recording.
I challenge you to make a list of 100 or more ways you can send signals of respect to those you interact with. Let’s talk about that – it’s one of my favorite topics. Reply to this message or click here if you’d like to chat on the phone.
Do you like The Unity Community?
Do you find value in the articles?
What’s good about it?
What would make it even more valuable for you?
Suggestions for topics in future issues? Do you have something you’d like to contribute? It can be your work…or someone else’s. I’ll give you and the author ample credit for your contribution if I use it.
Your thoughts, suggestions and comments are always welcome. Reply to this message, or go here if you’d like to chat on the phone or Zoom.
Do You Know Someone Who’d Like This?
Forward it to them with the FORWARD feature in your email program.
Did someone forward this to you? Would you like to subscribe (free)? Send me your email address and tell me you’d like to subscribe.
Want to Do More Business?
Suppose you go to a networking event. You’re amazed to find all your ideal prospects waiting to talk with you.
Our Business Accelerator Platform gives you this kind of exposure to your market. These are the people you want to help!
We find your ideal client prospects and start conversations with them. Then we communicate your value. We get them to schedule appointments with you…all on autopilot. This can happen for you! Learn how here.
When you join Smart Money Network’s Business Accelerator Platform, we:
- Optimize your LinkedIn Profile Page so it better attracts people in your market.
(Hint: What painful issue do you resolve for your clients? If your LinkedIn profile describes how you make your clients’ lives better, it’s rare! Most describe the merchant’s qualifications and expertise. They say little about what he/she does to remove clients’ pain.)
- LinkedIn has 740 million members. We find the few thousand who match your ideal client profile. You define your best prospect for us. Then we go find them.
(Even if you can find these people by yourself, it will take hours away from your work with your current clients.)
- Invite about 100 of these best prospects every week to connect with you on LinkedIn.
- Send a welcome message to those who accept your invitation and connect.
(Typically 15% or more. Currently, over 25% of those I invite are connecting!)
- Deliver something of value to them from you, and then do it again!
- Begin a “drip campaign” of carefully timed messages, providing more value. These messages give…give… give…and then ask. No pitches!
All these messages come from you personally. We want and expect your input in developing them…unless you want us to just do it. You can follow the threads and adjust your messages as you see better ways to engage your prospects. We’re always ready to talk with you about improving your messaging.
See a “hot” prospect you want to engage with your unique message? Take over the exchange manually!
Click here to learn how you can put this program to work for YOU!
Would You Like to Publish a Newsletter Like This One?
Want new ways to engage your prospects and clients? Unity Copywriting writes the materials that help you stay top of their minds. Let’s discuss how these materials can help you with your marketing!